Thursday, February 20, 2020

It's All 20-30% GARBAGE.

"20-30% of the work you do won't make the final cut, but the videos, and the team, are better for it."
Halbert-Howen, M. (2018, Spring). The Bible Project Quaterly, 9.


Context:  In making the amazing video footage produced by The Bible Project* The above article said that 20-30% of the work basically goes in the trash can. That's a lot! That's like throwing away 20-30% of my groceries after I finish shopping! But that is not the end of the story.


Apparently the effort of merely doing the work to create the content is the gem. Longterm, anyway. What they learn and create in the process of creating the "real" project, benefits future work in an exponential way.

We are such a results-oriented society. If you haven't noticed, all the media right now is: "5 steps to . . . !"  "10 easy ways to . . . !"  "Free 30 Day Plan to . . . !"

We like to know how fast we can get there! (where?) But that is not the only way to approach life. There is a slow fermentation process to a skill that North America has left behind in our hurry to improve everything "NOW!"  There are ancient arts that are not improved in 10 easy steps. That is why I loved this statement. A reminder that not everything can be judged a success or failure by the immediate result. Oh, yeah, and certainly not God's work--He rarely works in the "immediate result" range. We are a lifelong process of sanctification, to Him.

Like this blog.  I think that way more than 30% of this is going in the trash and will not produce anything at all, directly. But I am better for the process. I've developed creative pathways in my brain and learned new technology to keep up with them. I've worked my word skills so that I can think more clearly and say what I mean. Not to mention this blog has been helping me develop a work habit so that I can really rely on myself to get a job done regularly and on a schedule. Something I need to prove to myself as I move out of the realm of homeschool and into the world of working from home.

Can I be okay with the process? Can I be okay with God's process?


*The Bible Project tagline: Visual storytelling meets the bible. 
They have absolutely unique, beautiful, graphic-style video for all the books of the bible and much more. It's definitely a must-see.


Holiness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for constructive and encouraging comments!