Saturday, February 2, 2019

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

If you had never heard of homeschooling, how could you prepare yourself to do it? 

If you could have never imagined a reason to use Algebra after escaping high school, how would you be prepared to teach it? 

If training up a child was one of those bible verses meant for someone else, how do you make it your all day/everyday job?

Exactly.

Schooling children at home hit me like a Mac Truck on a dark night. And not only did I know nothing about homeschooling, but children were a complete mystery to me, too.

When I consider where I started and what I envisioned, I give myself a little grace. One by one my expectations have been demolished: firstly because they may have been unreasonable, secondly because, although reasonable, I did not know how to make them happen, and let's not forget thirdly-- children are their own persons. Some things are never going to happen with some people. Nevertheless, even starting a few miles behind the starting line has not ended in complete disaster. I'm hopeful the finish line will come into view eventually?

The last few years have been about seeing clearly, accepting what is, and choosing joy. All good additions to our homeschool, not to mention mental health. I am happier. The kids are happier. The house? Well . . .



I see clearly what this is: my house at the end of the school day--and I don't even have toddlers.

I accept that it has and will look like this every single day of our homeschool.

The joy is twofold: it looks like this because I am blessed to be home and educating my children, AND I know 15 minutes of frenzied cleaning will make it look like it never happened : )

Joy On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for constructive and encouraging comments!