Sunday, February 9, 2020

DEATH TO SELF -- What the World Needs Now!





Accept yourself,

Love yourself,

You are enough,

Selfies,

BLECH!  

Seriously. How about:

Take your eyes off yourself.

That's about as much "self" as we we need. Just enough "self" to realize that our "self" is not the answer.

The Amway business was the first place to teach me that. It's very difficult to build a people business if you are consumed with yourself. People just won't like you, and people who don't like you, don't usually want to be in a business with you. Those with the biggest Amway businesses are generally those who are focussed on helping others get what they want to achieve in their businesses. What an incredibly novel idea! I remember repeating this to myself ad nauseam as I went about my life in those years; take your eyes off yourself, take your eyes off yourself, take your eyes off yourself . . .

And then I became a Christian and realized that further to that, the Bible has nothing good to say about "self". It is the source of all wickedness, depravity, and sorrow.

"For the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked" 
Jeremiah 17:9

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" 
Matthew 7:12


In fact the Bible demands death to the self!



"And he was saying to them all, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself'" 
Luke 9:23

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives within me" Galatians 2:20

This is exactly the opposite message I hear being preached from the pulpits of social media. Go ahead, Google "self love."
How. Sad. For this generation. 

After 50 years of living, I see only how my focus on SELF has kept me in bondage.

Taking my eyes off my self helped me overcome an eating disorder -- what do you know, the more I thought of others and the less I thought of myself, the less concerned I was about extra inches here or there. I promise, if your focus is on helping, those helped won't care.

Taking my eyes off my self continues to help me overcome my social anxiety -- what do you know, the more I focus on how I can serve others in a given situation, the less I focus on what others will be thinking of me. I found that almost everyone loves someone who is serving them.

Taking my eyes off myself consistently helps me stave off depression and worry -- what do you know, the more I focus on what will make others happy, the more I forget that I am unhappy.


DEATH TO SELF
Would you buy the t-shirt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for constructive and encouraging comments!