Saturday, September 30, 2017

Back to School 2017-18

Back to School!

What an over-used phrase. Every flyer, every back-lit school sign and my blog, lol. 

We have started strong this year!  Possibly the best start ever.  As much as none of us wanted to pack up the flip-flops, and come inside, we’ve done it and we are off to a great start.  Why? A number of reasons that could not be re-created in other years: 

My mind is catching up with my body in healing. I feel like I can take on the stress of providing an education for my deserving learners again. I, with a surprising amount of enthusiasm this year, did a lot of prep work and research, which don’t let anyone ever tell you is a waste of time - but that’s another post. This led to me feeling somewhat more enthusiastic about what we were going to learn this year and gave us a smoooooth start as we actually opened the books (which I had prepared ahead of time, like a good cooking show)

Secondly, my oldest started off the year in school this year. Last year he went half way through which meant that the first half was miserable. He was miserable, we were all miserable watching him be miserable… so this year is a clean start: he is happy and we are happy watching him be happy : )

Thirdly, I guess it’s because they are all just one year older, but it’s just less of a fight to get the work DONE. Everyone has matured in their own way.  #2 child officially in the grad program has started to make her education her own - VICTORY!  #3 child has always done so, but is just reaching a new level of maturity and thinking about what the future holds - FUN! #4 child has only had one meltdown so far (a record) and is beginning to see at the start of the day that there IS a finish at the end, and she can do it! - PTL!

And they are just interesting people. Have I mentioned I LOVE being with my kids more every year? I actually don’t think you could pay me enough to go back to toddlers… Well, maybe, but it would be a LOT.

Here's a shot of our first day.  We always take pictures and eat ice-cream, and this year there happened to be decent weather for our local "Not-Back-to-School-Picnic".  Sadly #1 son is missing, since he was at school.  I'm still trying to convince him to make a sign and let me take a picture - it's his last year for crying out loud! Nonetheless, here is the class of 2017/18!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for constructive and encouraging comments!