Proof: homeschooled kids are just normal kids...

So, people are generally quite curious about what life is like in the world of homeschooling. I was reminded of this today at my SECOND TO LAST CHEMO TREATMENT (!)  More than one person there identifies me as "the woman who homeschools her four children".  I totally get it, and I think it's great.  It's a hard lifestyle to fathom when you've never had any first hand experience with it. Actually I remember being completely mystified and fascinated and listening to anyone who would talk my ear off about it.

I'm not quite so fascinated anymore; the "magic" is largely gone - kind of like with Christmas or New Year's resolutions. It's still a great privilege and I LOVE that I get to do this with my kids and I am impressed with how well it's worked out so far.  But, the magic left a while back when I woke up and realized:
a) we were not travelling the world immersed in experiential, non-traditional, whole-family learning and
b) there is no "formula", homeschooling or otherwise, that will guarantee my (or your) kids turn out "right" - whatever "right"means to you.

The point I DO want to make here loud and clear is that homeschooled kids are just as normal and well adjusted socially and in every other way as the kids down at your regular public school - I have photographic proof:




Nah, they don't *always* look this cool.  Only on a good day, when they've invented their own 3D glasses using mini-magnifiers, tape and cardboard.  And no, they aren't always building cool stuff of their own initiative either - another homeschool myth busted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Learning Links!

Unintended Homeschooler?

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - And I Know Why!

TOO MUCH!!