Radiation-Ready

Monday was a fun day. I finally got a tattoo! I know, I know, you didn't even know I wanted one did you? Well, truth be told I didn't actually want one on Monday as much as I did say... 25 years ago (which I'm glad I didn't get, 'cause the place I wanted that blue dolphin just doesn't look the same anymore).  It was all part of my pre-radiotherapy treatment.

Now that I'm finished with the chemo and only on a Herceptin infusion every 3 weeks (which I heard in Europe is given by injection now instead of intravenous - which would be about 30 minutes faster than the 30 minutes it takes to get the intravenous version) I'm moving on to the radiation phase of my treatment plan.  Monday involved meeting with my very nice Radiologist and having a planning CT scan.

Unfortunately during my appointment with my Radiologist I had a coughing fit, you know the kind where your eyes run, your nose runs and, in my case, my painted on eyelashes ran down my face, I couldn't speak and it generally put an end to my appointment for which I had been waiting 4 months. I still have the cough, which isn't all bad since this is the sickest I've been with something other than the chemotherapy.

After my unfortunate appointment, I went down to the CT area where I was introduced to Jennifer and John, the student, who was going to practice on me : )    He placed 3 lovely freckle-size tattoos on my chest (ouch!) so that they can line the radiotherapy machine up right, and then they both scooted out of the room while I spent 3 minutes in the CT machine.  That's a cool machine, I imagined I was time travelling as it spun around and around me. And that was it. I was out.  I start my radiotherapy treatments on May 5. In the mean time I have another appointment with my main Oncologist and a Herceptin treatment next week.

I think over-all I'm probably being a bit over-treated, which I read about in a few books. They like to throw every treatment available at you, even though the outcomes may not be that significant. I do need the Herceptin, which apparently had to come with chemotherapy.  The radiation itself, and the wide area they are treating is less of a no-brainer. But how do you say no? In my case the percentage improvement in outcome could be as low as 5% with a number of side effects.  But on the other hand, the side effects are all manageable: lymphedema in my arm, right lung damage, cracking ribs down the road, 1/1000 chance of a secondary cancer due to radiation etc., but a recurrence of this cancer likely wouldn't be. So I said to go for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Learning Links!

Unintended Homeschooler?

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - And I Know Why!

TOO MUCH!!