WIAW

AKA - What I Ate Wednesday

Yes, I know it's Thursday, BUT!

I just came across this on a recipe blog I was on and I thought, wow, if I had a record of what I've eaten every Wednesday for the last 6 years, my Wednesdays now would be unrecognizable from my Wednesdays past!

Let's see,


PAST:
peanut butter and jam on bread

several cups of coffee with cream and 2 tsp of sugar

a muffin for a snack

grilled cheese for lunch with Campbell's veg. soup (with high-fructose corn syrup)

an apple and cheese for a snack

Mac and cheese or spaghetti, since we had to leave for activities quickly

cereal before bed.


PRESENT (yesterday):
blueberries, apple, walnuts and greek yoghurt 

Organic Earl Grey tea (cream flavour)

2 squares of 90% dark chocolate

homemade taco soup (low carb, no preservatives, dairy etc.), corn chips

cashews and raisins for a snack

organic coffee with cream

stuffed pesto/veggie squash with brown rice

a few hazelnuts before bed


I started cleaning up my eating about 6 years ago when I learned I had a bunch of food sensitivities AND I was informed that mac and cheese "isn't food".  Who knew?  We used to go through cases of the stuff!  But it's literally been about 4 years since I even bought one box.  I'm feeling pretty good about that. The kids aren't. There is always much wailing and gnashing when I roll out the squash like I did last night.

I feel 100 times better that I used to, even after chemo.  I don't feel as good as I did directly before my treatment but even now I feel better than I used to several years ago.  It's directly caused by my changes in eating and exercise.

I now realize my daily nausea was caused by sugar and simple carbohydrates. So were bouts of low blood sugar and brainfog. Low energy and just a feeling of general malaise must have been a combination of too much sitting and the whole combo of garbage I was eating. How could I feel otherwise when most of my diet was literally "not food"?

Imagine: eating real food = 5 brainfog-free years.    I *detest* brainfog.

I'm bringing along some converts too!  My husband has lately given up a LOT of the sugar he regularly eats - he even converted to apples, yogurt and nuts with cheese for lunch instead of a quarter pounder with cheese ; )   I like to think even the kids are coming along. They occasionally check for themselves if a product has glucose-fructose and one daughter sold most of her hallowe'en candy; they even frequently make conscious choices to pick fruit over junk and to try to eat their vegetables.  It's just that there's SO MUCH JUNK out there. It gets handed to them at every turn.  It's a constant battle to know how to handle it, but that's another topic for another post.

I'm off to have some pesto squash left-overs and tea  : )     Happy eating of REAL food!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Learning Links!

Unintended Homeschooler?

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - And I Know Why!

TOO MUCH!!