ISO: Missing Neutrophils

Well, I've been enjoying my "normal" life so much, I haven't posted.  That's a good thing. I have felt pretty great! I didn't realize how pretty lousy I was feeling before : )

I was all geared up to go in today for my 6th treatment - it was going to be the loooong day of 6hrs.  I'd gone to see the Doc and had my blood drawn in the morning. We'd made plans for the kids and I'd spent the 2nd half of Tuesday lesson planning for independent learning and eating.  I was just about finished entering all the lessons into my online planner when Jennifer the Nurse called to say I just wasn't up to par and couldn't come for my appointment.  My white blood cell count was down - it hadn't picked up since my last treatment (remember the celebratory post about the end of Neupogen shots? I guess they were really doing their job!). She could clearly hear how disappointed I was and was trying to be encouraging.

I really was disappointed! In fact I was down-right down about the situation for the rest of the day and on into today. It took me a while to pinpoint the problem. More than just a waste of good planning (school, kids, travel etc.), which is enough to bum me out on a regular day, it's unnerving to know that my body wasn't doing it's job this time. And further, maybe it just not going to. Maybe I'll have to postpone another treatment, or worse, I'll have to stop. The prognosis is not good if I stop. Things have been going well and I've been choosing everyday just to enjoy that and be as healthy and normal as possible. The phone call was just a reminder that this is serious business.

According to Nurse Jennifer there is nothing I can do other than try to prevent myself getting a flu or infection and it also "isn't abnormal". So, I guess there's nothing I can do. I will enjoy this week, treat my body and hopefully my family and friends well, and pray for lots of neutrophils to show up by next Tuesday!




A little science lesson for the under-informed, such as I...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Learning Links!

Unintended Homeschooler?

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - And I Know Why!

TOO MUCH!!