Saturday, February 9, 2019

Climate Change. Sign Me UP.

At this moment I realize how much of my life has been dictated by temperature.

My existence, by which I mean my activities, my vacations, my friends, my food, my health, my exercise, and even my family have been determined by temperature.  I despise being cold - cold and damp to be exact. (At least I live on an island in the mid-pacific where it's neither of those things - BWAHAHA.)  My life, my lifestyle, has been so entirely formed by climate that I don't think I would recognize it if it had been lived in another place.

What a different person I would be if I could tolerate the weather or, rather, if the weather would accommodate me. I love the outdoors - when it's warm, I love wading in the ocean - when it's warm, I like sleeping outside - when it's warm, I like walking, eating, playing, reading, gardening, talking etc. outside - when it's warm. A balmy 75F suits me JUST fine. I LOVE to feel the sun beating down on me, I LOVE finding shade because the sun is too hot, I can't describe how MUCH I LOVE drying off on the cement patio of an outdoor pool in the sun... oh bliss.

On the flip side rain. grey. mist. clouds. fog. make me want to cry. They make me want to curl up, shut the blinds, drink hot drinks, ignore the world, be fat and lazy. You will typically find me inside. If possible sitting wherever a shaft of sun has found it's way through the clouds to my window. No matter if it's the floor, the couch, pressed up against the sliding glass door. It feeds my soul. Whereas those unmentionables I mentioned once already, steal my soul, my motivation, my energy and my general goodwill toward mankind and myself. And certainly many a camping trip with my family.

So I wonder, these things I struggle against, how many are a construct of cold? How many relationships have withered because of dark, rainy nights too wet to drive, how many memories of camping with my kids have never happened, how many outdoor adventures with family declined, how many projects and plans have turned into mere survival in my quest to keep warm and dry?

Sunny the cat can't take it either ; )
and yes, I named my cat after my favourite celestial orb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for constructive and encouraging comments!