Another month gone, and it's not summer anymore. Today is, in fact, the first day of school around these parts. Even here in the homeschool - and outschool.  Yes, one of my chicks has flown the coop to private school - to maintain the sanity of all involved. Three were here today for our annual "back to homeschool day" which involves school supplies, new books, pictures and ice cream cones in any one of 24 flavours (the choices today were bubble gum and tiger - and lets not forget chocolate raspberry cheesecake for mom ;)  )

So I actually had to drive up to a building to pick up my own child amidst the first day chaos I have smugly avoided for 8 years. Then over to the overcrowded mall to find THE particular dictionary and thesaurus and not find THE 8.5x11 coil sketchbook or paintbrushes required.   But I can live with this.

What really sucked the wind from my sails was short notice of the camping trip for said child's class taking place in two weeks. CAMPING TRIP? I am paying multiple $1000's of dollars a year so kids can go camping? We just got back from camping because that's what you do on summer vacation. Not when you're supposed to be learning Algebra. I don't think so.  Not when your art and PE classes are longer than your English and Math classes. Not to mention, sleepovers are not part of our family culture so it's a "no" anyway. Yes. I am the Grinch.

So, I am less than thrilled with our first foray into "outschool". The child attending is notorious for being under-enthusiastic about nearly everything so whether he thinks this school experience is better or worse than homeschool I'll likely never know. The price of peace in the home can be high.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Learning Links!

Unintended Homeschooler?

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - And I Know Why!

TOO MUCH!!