Everything I need to know I learned in Amway.

Well, sometimes it seems that way!  When I ponder where my life has ended up I'm consistently amazed at how much of it is a direct result of my years in the Amway business.  A lot of years! We haven't done anything with it for a long while but I started way back in 1993. And it wasn't just Amway it was the organization I got involved with called Worldwide Group. Amway was the product line, WWG was the training vehicle.

So, now you know I'm weird, right? Amway? If the word "Amway" leaves a bad taste in your mouth you're not alone. I think in I've heard it all. And it probably wasn't the company but an over-enthusiastic distributor trying to get you to see what they saw. The company is great - above reproach - wins all kinds of awards, solid, all that. It's just the people; of which I was one! Never-the-less, I couldn't be more glad that a friend called me up to see this new business of hers and that I was in the mood to try anything once and figured I had nothing to lose and maybe something to gain.

I clearly didn't get what I was aiming for (millions of dollars and freedom) but I did alright, here's the top 10:

#1.  I got saved!  Yup, good ol' born again saved because I met my upline and they happened to be really living life based on what they believed. I'd never quite met anyone doing that before or they had been few and far between.  Looking back I see that I had a lot to learn (and still do!) but it put my feet on a path that revolutionized my entire, eternal existence.

#2.  I met my husband, a fellow WWG/Amway distributor. How grateful can I be for that? 13 years and counting.

#3.  I learned to be a positive person. The WWG booklist itself is a life-changer. I learned the power of just choosing to be positive in my thinking and speaking. Putting in good stuff to get good stuff out. An invaluable habit from which people in my life continue to benefit whether they know it or not ; )

#4.  I learned to motivate myself to do the things I do not want to do. Well, mostly.

#5.  I learned how to have a good marriage. LOTS of marriage books on that booklist. HOURS of audio seminars in my car - before I even met my dh.  I can't imagine the mess we'd be in otherwise.

#6.  I learned some good basic business skills. The customer is always right, under-promise/overdeliver, be organized, actually do work...

#7.  Goal setting became my friend.  I set so many goals that even though I failed to meet most them I learned that you're almost always farther ahead by working toward something than if you don't bother to try.

#8.  I met people who schooled at home and it sounded so great that 10 years later I thought I'd give it a shot.  Good thought!

#9.  I learned about freedom, economics, to care about politics and be informed. Freedom isn't free.

#10. I learned about integrity, honesty and leading by example.

I can safely say that what I learned in this business got me a better job and taught me more than 5 years in university and for a fraction of the price.

We came to a place where we could no longer build an organization due to differing values but now I find my faith has picked up where my WWG/Amway experience left off and the foundation of those years is irreplaceable.  I would love my kids to go through WWG/Amway bootcamp!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Learning Links!

Unintended Homeschooler?

Seeing Clearly, Accepting What Is, Choosing Joy

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - And I Know Why!

TOO MUCH!!